One of the biggest appeals to subscribing to a meal kit delivery service is the convenience factor. They save you trips to the grocery store. Plus, some even save you some prep work time by sending premade sauces and chopped ingredients. However, you can take the convenience factor a step further by subscribing to the best oven ready meal delivery service.
That’s right! They have oven ready meal delivery kits. No time wasted shopping and no time wasted chopping. If you subscribe to one of these services, you’ll receive oven-ready meals that are pre-portioned into oven safe containers. You simply preheat the oven and pop in the meal.
What’s more, some of these oven ready meal delivery services also offer microwavable meals too. These are awesome for nights you just don’t have the time (or willpower) to cook at all. Simplicity at its finest!
The Best Oven Ready Meal Delivery Services
- Freshly – Top Pick
- Blue Apron – Best Value
- Sunbasket – Premium Pick
- Home Chef – Best for Families
- Purple Carrot – Best Plant Based Meals
Now that you know the best companies you can subscribe to for your oven ready meals, let’s find out what makes each of them special!
Compare Our Top Picks
Cost Per Meal
(Premium Recipes vary between $13.99-$19.99 per serving)
Plans for 1:
Plans for 2 or 4:
Additional options to add to your delivery:
$8.99-$13.95 (most $9.95)
Freshly is an oven ready meal delivery service which delivers chef-cooked meals ready to heat and eat. How it works is simple. You choose your meals from their menu of 30 (or more) all natural dishes each week. Then, Freshly will have their professional chefs cook them for you before they get delivered. Once you receive them, you have two reheat options. You can reheat them in the microwave in as little as 3 minutes or pop them in the oven for 25-35 minutes. Finally, you just eat and repeat!
Some of the best parts about Freshly are that you can skip a week or cancel at any time, so there is no long term commitment. Plus, each Freshly meal is perfectly sized for one person to enjoy at one sitting. The meals are fully-prepared and delivered fresh, never frozen. Whatever your lifestyle, Freshly’s got you covered with gluten-free, dairy-free, plant-based and low-calorie meal options.
In fact, nearly all of Freshly’s meals are certified gluten-free and are made in kitchens that are 100% certified by the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG). Furthermore, this is food you can feel good about eating due to Freshly’s Food Philosophy. The Freshly Food Philosophy begins with three guiding principles – less sugar, less processed food and more nutrients.
There is one drawback to Freshly is, if you microwave the meals, they tend to lack textural variety. For instance, if you bake them in the oven, the veggies have a nice crunch that makes you want to go in for another bite. However, once microwaved, everything has that soft microwaved texture. You can read more about this in our full length Freshly review here.
Overall, the food is still pretty tasty, regardless (though, feel free to use salt, pepper or hot sauce, as needed), but if you can help it, definitely take advantage of the oven ready option because the meals come out best that way!
Visit the Freshly website to get started.
- Meals range from $8.99-$11.50
- Shipping price varies by order size from $5.99-$11.99
- Available kit sizes are:
- 4-5 meals
- 6-7 meals
- 8-9 meals
- 10-11 meals
- 12 meals
- Each meal is one serving
- Meals can be any combination of the following:
- One thing that really sets Freshly apart from competitors is the fact that their meals are actually certified gluten-free making them suitable for Celiacs or others with gluten intolerance.
- Doubly convenient. Meals are oven ready, but also can be microwaved.
- Suitable for Celiacs. Meals are actually certified gluten free.
- Meals are healthy. You can order your meals to be plant-based, dairy-free, calorie-conscious, etc.
- Food is fresh, never frozen, so it’s not like getting frozen meals from the prepared food aisle of the grocery store.
- If you microwave the meals, they fall a bit flat in texture.
- The smaller the box you order, the more expensive each meal can be.
Blue Apron is one of the largest meal delivery service companies on the market. What sets them apart is their attention to detail. The name “Blue Apron” is an homage to chefs around the world who don blue aprons while learning to cook. Today, the blue apron is a symbol of lifelong learning within the culinary field. The company is so named in hopes to inspire others to discover new elements of preparing and cooking food!
Blue Apron is a fresh ingredient and recipe delivery service that helps chefs of all levels cook incredible meals at home. They take care of the menu planning and shopping, providing you with fresh, locally sourced, non-GMO ingredients in pre-measured quantities, so all you have to do is cook and enjoy.
Now, full disclosure, Blue Apron doesn’t offer oven ready meals in the same way Freshly does. However, Blue Apron does offer two versions of super easy, convenient meals. Their first convenience meals are classic heat and eat meals that can be cooked in the microwave in about 5 minutes. These are most on par with “oven-ready meals” because all the prep work is done for you.
Conversely, they also offer a few sheet pan meals each week that they classify as “fast & easy”. These meals usually require minimal prep work and everything gets thrown on the same sheet pan before getting popped into the oven. Typically, the total time required to make these meals is about 25-35 minutes.
So, if you’re looking for true oven ready meal delivery, Blue Apron isn’t the best choice. However, if you’re looking for meals that are more convenient than the traditional meal kits that can be quite time consuming, Blue Apron has a good handful of options each week that can be cooked in the microwave or on one pan quickly, all for an affordable price. If you’d like more information about Blue Apron, you can read our full length review here.
Head over to Blue Apron’s website to get started.
- 2 person minimum meal size
- 2-4 recipes per kit
- 4 menus to choose from (Signature for 2, Vegetarian, Wellness and Signature for 4)
- At least 12 recipes offered on their Signature menus (though only around 5 Vegetarian recipes and 3 Wellness recipes offered each week)
- Most recipes range from $7.99-$11.99 (upcharges for customization options will vary)
- Premium recipes range from $13.99-$19.99 per serving
- FREE shipping on meal kits!
- The most convenient meals to look for one their menu are:
- Heat & Eat
- Fast & Easy (particularly their sheet pan meals)
- Food is restaurant quality and delicious!
- Meal kits can be affordable (servings start at $7.99 and shipping is free), but you can treat yourself to some extras (for an upcharge) if you wanted something extra special
- Offers two types of easy/convenient meals, so you have options for days when you have more/less time for dinner
- Some of their convenient meals are vegetarian, so Blue Apron could be suitable for vegetarians looking for easy oven ready meal delivery kits
- Not a true oven ready meal delivery service (the only zero prep/ready to eat meals they offer are microwave ready)
- Does not offer specific menus to accommodate dietary restrictions
Sunbasket is our premium pick. They offer a little something for everyone. They have their Fresh & Ready meal plan, quick and easy heat and eat meals, as well as meals you can prep and cook. Plus, they offer a variety of meal plans to accommodate those with dietary restrictions and preferences, something that can be hard to find in other oven ready meal delivery kits.
Sunbasket uses the season’s best farm-fresh ingredients, so you get the best meals. In your Sunbasket, you’ll find fresh organic produce, responsibly raised meats free of antibiotics and hormones, and seafood that’s wild-caught or sustainably raised, following the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® program guidelines. This means sourcing from fisheries or aquaculture operations that are rated a Green Best Choice, Yellow Good Alternative or that are eco-certified to a standard recognized by Seafood Watch. Not to mention deliciously incredible seasonings and sauces!
So, let’s talk about Sunbasket’s most convenient meal options. First, they have a whole menu of Fresh & Ready meals. These are meals that are heat and eat style, so you microwave them in around 5 minutes or they have oven ready instructions, as well. They have around 10 Fresh & Ready meals on their menu each week. It’s important to note that the Fresh & Ready meals only serve one.
Next, they offer Speedy meals, which are quite similar to the Fresh & Ready meals, only they require just a smidgen of prep work and assembly before going into the oven or microwave. These meals can be made in less than 20 minutes. Speedy meals come as 2 to 4 servings.
The one downside to Sunbasket’s oven ready meals on the Fresh & Ready menu are that they’re a bit pricey. These meals start at $11.49 per serving. If you’d like more information about Sunbasket, you can check out our full length review here.
Get started with Sunbasket on their site.
- Meals start at $9.99 per serving, but the Fresh & Ready menu meals start at $11.49 per serving
- Delivery is free on your first order
- Types of meals offered:
- Paleo: High in protein. No dairy, gluten, grains, soy or corn.
- Carb-Conscious: 25-35g net carbs or fewer per serving with plenty of protein.
- Gluten-Free: Wheat alternatives. Not suitable for those with severe gluten allergies.
- Lean & Clean: Whole foods with less than 600 calories per serving.
- Diabetes-Friendly: Recipes approved by the American Diabetes Association.
- Chef’s Choice: Hand-picked, seasonal recipes.
- Vegetarian: No meat or seafood.
- Pescetarian: No meat or poultry. Vegetarian meals featuring wild-caught seafood.
- Mediterranean: Whole grains, good fats, wild-caught seafood and responsibly sourced meats.
- Fresh & Ready: No prep, just heat & eat. Dinner is done in as little as 4 minutes.
- Sunbasket delivers organic fresh produce, milk, yogurt, eggs and tofu 99% of the time. (They strive for 100% but factors like weather make an organic option unavailable from time to time, but they’ll let you know if something is substituted with a conventional, non organic alternative).
- Their meats and seafood are free of antibiotics and artificial hormones. Additionally, they offer organic, free-range, and pasture-raised meats and poultry.
- They partner with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® program to ensure responsible sourcing of both wild-caught and farm-raised seafood.
- Sunbasket literally offers something for almost everyone (*except those with severe food allergies and intolerances)
- Meals are chef-crafted and dietitian approved
- You can mix and match meals (such as choosing a Paleo option and a Vegetarian option OR choosing a heat and eat option and a classic dinner option)
- Meals and ingredients are intelligently and responsibly sourced
- Not an option for people who suffer serious food allergies (facilities are not allergen-free)
- Depending on how deeply you’d like to customize your weekly order, Sunbasket can become one of the pricier options on the list.
Home Chef has the highest rate of customer satisfaction among leading meal kit companies. We’ve chosen Home Chef as the best oven ready meal delivery kits for families because they offer something for everyone. Of course, they have oven ready meals, which is why they’ve made the list, but they also offer express meal kits that take around 15 minutes to make, and of course, the traditional 30 minute meal kits.
Home Chef is further customizable to your needs by offering meals that are for the calorie conscious or carb conscious couples. Additionally, you can opt to avoid certain ingredients such as pork, shellfish, tree nuts and peanuts, to name a few.
Home Chef is all about helping you save time while enjoying real home cooking and the joy that comes with it. In fact, simplicity is their mantra. From online ordering to your doorstep… to your kitchen table, they make planning and preparing a home-cooked meal simple, intuitive and inspirational every step of the way.
However, it should be noted the Home Chef doesn’t cater to specific diets (like keto or paleo) and they only offer a vegetarian recipe every other week. Furthermore, it’s important to note that their facilities are not certified allergen-free. If you’d like more information about Home Chef, you can read our in depth review here.
Visit Home Chef to get started.
- 2 portion minimum meal size
- 2-6 recipes per kit
- 13 recipes offer each week (Around 4 that are completely oven ready, more if you’re okay with very minimal prep work)
- No specific plan options, but some recipes are categorized as “carb-conscious” or “calorie-conscious”
- Price per serving ranges from $8.99-$13.95 (most are around $9.95)
- Shipping price depends on Zip Code (ours was $9.99)
- Discounts offered to first responders, health care professionals, and teachers
- A La carte add ons also available (includes things like breakfasts, desserts, bread and additional proteins for an upcharge)
- You can customize most meals individually
- You can buy these meals at some grocery stores
- You can choose from fancy/chef-y meals or quick/easy meals
- Relatively affordable (some meals are as low as $6.99)
- You can get totally oven ready meals or if you have a little more time, you can get meals that require very minimal prep work before going into the oven, giving you more options
- Menu doesn’t accommodate dietary restrictions
- Not an option for people who suffer serious food allergies (facilities are not allergen-free)
Unlike the other meal delivery services on this list that cater to omnivorous diets (mostly), Purple Carrot is an entirely plant-based alternative suitable for vegans and vegetarians. Purple Carrot meals have been clinically proven to help people lose weight and lower LDL cholesterol in just 4 weeks. Additionally, when you eat a healthy plant-based diet you may also lower your risk of diabetes.
Purple Carrot offers high-protein, gluten-free or chef’s choices meals to choose from each week. Specifically, you can choose from meal kits where you can slice, dice and saute your way to a delicious vegan meal or you can pick fresh, prepared meals that are heat and eat style and are ready in less than 5 minutes. At this time, there are no instructions offered for preparing these heat and eat meals in the oven, but they are still a very convenient option for vegans/vegetarians who have limited choices within the meal kit delivery service space, so we’ve included them on the list anyway.
To build your dinner kit, you can select from the 2 serving or 4 serving option and order anywhere from 3 to 4 recipes a week. In addition to building your dinner kit each week, you can also add in breakfasts, lunches or order from their Plantry (which features various plant based foods like chocolate tahini or vegan pesto). If you’d like to learn more about all Purple Carrot has to offer and the deliciousness of the food, check out our full length review here.
Get started with Purple Carrot on their site.
- 2 person minimum meal size
- 3-4 recipes per kit
- 2 serving meal kits are $13.25 per serving
- 4 serving meal kits are $11.00 per serving
- Shipping is free on deliveries over $85 (otherwise it’s $8)
- Breakfasts are $4.50 per serving
- Lunches are $9.00 per serving
- Plantry prices vary by item
- Most non-produce items are organic/non-GMO (However, constraints with sourcing and shipping locations can affect this)
- You can order meal kits or heat and eat meals
- Meals are either classified as high-protein, gluten-free, chef’s choice or any combination thereof
- The meals are very delicious (we cannot stress this enough!)
- You can order tradition meal kits or heat and eat options, depending on your preference
- Makes eating vegetarian or vegan easy (no label reading required!)
- Best for health conscious individuals or families
- Not a true oven ready meal delivery kits service
- Doesn’t accommodate dietary restrictions other than veganism/vegetarianism
- Not an option for people who suffer serious food allergies (facilities are not allergen-free)
What to Look For in an Oven Ready Meal Delivery Service
While you’d think most meal delivery services offer the same kinds of options, you’d be surprised to learn that’s not the case. In fact, while this post is dedicated to oven ready meal delivery, the options for companies that offer true oven ready meal delivery kits are actually slim pickings, so we’ve included some other convenient alternatives within this list too.
Ease of use – What are other convenient meal types that aren’t fully oven ready?
The first thing to note is that not all ready made meals are oven ready made meals. Some of them are heat and eat style that are meant to be cooked in a microwave. However, the microwave options are going to be your fastest option. Oven ready meals can still take anywhere from 15-30 minutes (or more) to cook and most microwavable meals only require about 5 minutes. (For instance, Purple Carrot’s ready made meals are only microwavable, but Freshly’s ready made meals can be microwaved OR cooked in the oven.)
Then, somewhere between these two, you have meals that can be cooked in the oven that require minimal prep work. For instance, you might have to simply transfer the ingredients to an oven safe dish (like some of Blue Apron’s sheet pan meals) or chop an ingredient or two before microwaving (like some of Home Chef’s Express meals).
We recommended the services on this list because you get different kinds of quick and easy options within each service. For example, if you’re really pressed for time, throw that Freshly meal into the microwave, but on days when you have some extra time, try their meals in the oven. Or give Sunbasket a try, whose service allows you to mix and match different meal types, so you can order some easy meals, as well as traditional meal kits for nights you have extra time.
Budget – How expensive are meal kits?
You might be surprised to find out that the price per serving can vary from service to service quite drastically. However, this doesn’t mean all services are going to be outside of your budget. In fact, some meal kits offer servings that come out to less than your average fast food meal.
Conversely, you should be aware that ready made meals tend to be some of the more expensive options on different services menus. Unfortunately, convenience never comes for free. This is another reason why we recommend services that offer a variety of meal types. Often times, that’s a way to save a little bit of money, even if it means a night or two a week, you end up cooking a meal that takes around 30 minutes or so.
Serving Size – Do all meal kit delivery services offer the same size meals?
No! And this is especially important to take note of for these particular recommendations. All of Freshly’s meals are 1 serving each, so if you’re attempting to feed your family using this delivery service, make sure you pick the plan size that comes with enough meals to do so.
Additionally, Sunbasket’s Fresh & Ready meals are only single servings, but the rest of the meal kits do come with two servings each. You can mix and match the different meal types, but again, make sure you’re being mindful of this when you’re ordering.
Dietary Preferences – Do any meal kit delivery services cater to specific diets?
Yes! The best oven ready meal delivery kits for those who have specific dietary preferences is Sunbasket. They cater to specific diets like paleo, pescetarian, mediterranean and more. However, if you’re vegan or vegetarian, Purple Carrot is literally made for you. You’ll have the most options with that service.
Conversely, most of the meal services on this list aren’t suitable for individuals with severe food allergies or intolerances. However, nearly all of Freshly’s meals are certified gluten-free and are made in kitchens that are 100% certified by the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG). So, if you’re someone who suffers with gluten intolerance, fortunately you’re not completely out of luck when it comes to meal kits!
(If you’re interested in learning more about each of these specific diets, just click the name of each one and you’ll be brought to high quality sources for more information, studies and/or fun facts.)
Nutritional Quality – Are meal kit delivery services healthy?
As far as health goes, for the most part, meal delivery services can be worked into a healthy diet. Most services do a decent job at balancing meats, veggies and grains in their meals. However, where some fall short is the calorie count of each meal.
This is why we recommend services like Sunbasket (who’s meals are dietitian approved or have been approved by the American Diabetes Association) or Purple Carrot (meals have been clinically proven to help people lose weight and lower LDL cholesterol in just 4 weeks).
At the very least, look for services that offer calorie conscious meals/menus, to make eating healthy easier.
Benefits of Oven Ready Meal Delivery Kits
- Oven ready meal delivery kits can be a time saver. They are ready made meals that require zero prep work.
- Some services that offer oven ready meals offer other speedy options and allow you to mix and match so you get a good variety for nights when you have more time than others.
- If you have specific dietary restrictions, you still have some options amongst services that offer oven ready meal delivery kits.
- The oven ready meals from every service on this list use fresh ingredients and aren’t frozen!
- Oven ready meal delivery kits come pre portioned and ready to go, pretty much eliminating food waste.
Using a meal kit service is a great option for those looking to save time and effort, but still have a delicious dinner every night. When looking for the best oven ready meal delivery kits, remember that oven ready meals aren’t the only way to save time. There’s also ready-made meals that can be microwaved when you have very little time or express/speedy meal kits that require very little prep before going into the microwave/oven.
You simply need to ask yourself what you’d like from the service. Do you want all ready made meals? That’s the name of the game at Freshly. However, if you’d like to mix and match different styles of meals, Home Chef is an excellent option. Furthermore, if you’re vegan and are looking for ready-made meals, head on over to Purple Carrot. You cannot go wrong with any of the services on this list!
What is the cheapest oven ready meal delivery?
Home Chef’s standard meals start at $8.99 per serving depending on their current available menu and options. Meal types can vary in price. So, if you’re looking for true oven ready meals, they’re going to be the cheapest. However, if you’re just looking for easy and fast meals, Blue Apron’s meals start at a dollar cheaper per serving. However, it should be noted, they don’t over true oven ready meals.
Do oven ready meals come fresh or frozen?
Every single meal kit delivery service on this list delivers fresh meals/ingredients. Even the oven ready and/or ready made meals are fresh, not frozen!
Are oven ready meal delivery kit services cheaper than regular grocery shopping?
Typically no. However, oven ready meal delivery can be a lot cheaper than ordering take-out. And even though you might spend a little less at the grocery store on ready made meals, they’ll usually be frozen and packed with preservatives. All the services on this list deliver fresh meals and/or fresh ingredients to cook with. Furthermore, meal kits help you eliminate food waste. When you have lots of food waste, you end up spending more than you needed.