Key Features and Specifications
- Dimensions: Lid closed – 14.5H x 27W x 16D, Lid open – 23.5H x 27W x 20.5D inches
- Primary cooking area: 188 square inches
- One stainless steel burner: 8,500 BTU per hour
- Fuel: liquid propane
- The whole body and the lid are made out of cast aluminum
- 5-year guarantee
Our Rating: 4.7/5
The Weber Q 1000’s tagline is “Little Grill. Big Performance.” We agree. This little portable propane grill is lightweight and high performing. It uses propane gas canisters and has a cooktop size of 189 sq. inches, so it’s extremely portable.
It’s a really great grill for camping, it’s versatile, and features quality construction. If you are looking for something simple and practical you can take with you anywhere, this is it.
Table of Contents
- Can be used straight out-of-the-box
- Quality design allows for easy cleaning.
- High performing portable grill
- Very easy to store and bring along on trips
- Lacks the features of portable grills
- Legs not included, they have to be purchased separately
- It takes a bit longer to grill food compared to a full-size grill
Found Your Grill?
What we cover in this Weber Q 1000 review
For many people that love camping and other outdoor activities, cooking outside is a necessity. The primary choice for most is a portable grill. In our search for the best portable grills, the Weber Q 1000 stood out as one of the best options.
With the declared weight at 27.3 lbs, the Weber Q 1000 is one of the lightest portable grills on the market. It’s a versatile little grill with a split cooking grate. Weber consistently manufactures quality products.
However, this grill offers more than meets the eye at first glance. Stick around and find out more about its performance, features, build quality, and our likes and dislikes.
Even though the Weber Q 1000 is an exceptional grill, it does have drawbacks as well. We always try to review products transparently. Here’s what we learned about this one.
What we like
- Portable: This small grill goes with you wherever life may lead. It’s small and lightweight for a grill with a cast-aluminum cookbox and top.
- Very easy to use: To start your grill, simply turn on the gas and press the button. Use the rotating knob to increase or lower the flame. If you put on a big chunk of meat and you would like to keep up the heat, just close the lid. Everything is intuitive about this grill, and it does what it’s supposed to.
- Quality build: Even though this grill is extremely lightweight, the build quality isn’t compromised. It’s made out of rust proof cast aluminum and has porcelain-enameled cooking grates that guarantee durability and sleek look.
What we don’t like
- Lack of Features: This grill does not come with features such as an included stand or legs or a built-in thermometer. Weber has a portable cart available for purchase, and you can always use your own thermometer, but sometimes you want everything available right out of the box.
- Less heat than full-size grills: The Weber Q 1000 has a single 8500 BTU burner that performs excellently for a small grill, but won’t get as hot as full-size models. This isn’t a problem if you’re using this grill when you travel, just keep it in mind if you’re thinking about it as a daily griller.
You simply press the button to start the grill and wait a few minutes until it’s preheated. The burner reaches its maximum heat very quickly. The cooking size is 189 square inches which translates to about 9 burgers. You can definitely cook for the family, but for the crowd you’ll need to grill in waves.
The Weber Q 1000 gets decently hot and does a good job maintaining the temperature. The food may take a little bit longer than you’re used to when you cook, but not so much longer that it’s a problem.
The porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates are good quality. It’s a split grate design, which means you can remove the grate on half of the grill and use a cast-iron griddle instead (which you have to purchase separately). One of the things that’s missing is a built-in thermometer, but you can always buy your own.
Weber Q 1000 Propane Grill
Small Portable Grill
Number of burners
Main burners BTUs
Number of side burners
Side burner BTUs
Dimensions (H, W, D)
14.5H x 27W x 16D inches
Yes with a portable rolling cart accessory available for separate purchase
Extra storage space
This is one of the highest-quality portable grills we have reviewed. When you grab it with your hands, you feel the build quality that Weber Grills are known for. At just 27.2 lbs weight, it’s lightweight for an all-metal grill body.
The body and lid are made out of rust-proof cast aluminum, and the grates are made from porcelain-enameled cast-iron. Both of these materials are very durable and have a long life expectancy. It also has a glass-reinforced nylon frame.
Depending on where you buy the grill, it can come assembled or not. Make sure to ask the vendor this before ordering. It comes with a very easy-to-use instruction manual that makes the assembly easy. Even a beginner can put it together quickly by following the instructions.
The Weber Q 1000 has a 5-year warranty. This warranty doesn’t cover typical wear & tear from everyday use.
If you are looking for a small, quality, and portable grill, the Weber Q 1000 is a great option. It’s ideal if you want to bring the grill with you when you travel and cook for your small group.
Ready to buy?
How long can I use a single propane canister?
Weber Q 1000 uses propane gas canisters you can find at any hardware or big box store. The fuel canisters are built with the same goal in mind as the grill – portability. A single canister will last for around 2 hours of cooking time.
Can the Weber Q 1000 use a full-size propane tank?
Yes, by purchasing the Weber conversion kit. Installation only takes a few minutes.
Is it easy to maintain?
Yes, this compact grill is really easy to maintain. The aluminum and stainless steel can be wiped easily without any trouble.
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.