Key Features and Specifications
- Primary cooking area: 330 in²; room for 16 burgers
- Warming rack area: 170 in²
- Three stainless steel Dual-Tube burners
- Main burner: 30,000 BTU-per-hour
- Made in North America
- Therma-Cast Cookbox – a full die-cast aluminum cook box which helps prevent rust and damage
- Stainless steel Flav-R-Wave cooking system
- Fold-down steel side shelves
- Integrated thermometer
Our Rating: 4.65/5
If you need a small but mighty grill to complete your outdoor cooking area, the Broil King Monarch 320 might just be what you’re looking for. This inexpensive grill has three powerful burners that deliver heat evenly due to their stainless steel and dual-tube design.
With its 330 in² of primary cooking space, it provides enough room to comfortably prepare a full meal for up to four people – making it ideal for small families and grilling enthusiasts who are looking for a reliable, compact, and affordable grill.
The Broil King Monarch 320 is somewhat light on features but provides you with everything you need to make a perfect meal. It’s made of high-quality materials and is guaranteed to last you for years to come, which is why we highly recommend it.
The Broil King Monarch 320 comes in two fuel versions – propane and natural gas. We find there to be very little cooking difference between propane and natural gas – it comes down to preference and whether your house has access to natural gas or not.
Table of Contents
- Affordable for the quality level
- Made of high-quality materials
- Compact but powerful for size
- Integrated thermometer
- Made in the United States or Canada
- Light on features
- Complicated assembly
What We Cover in This Broil King Monarch 320 ReviewGetting a new grill is nothing to be taken lightly. You’ll be investing at least several hundred dollars, and maybe a lot more, and you’ll want to look for a product that offers superior quality at a competitive price. That’s exactly what the Broil King Monarch 320 delivers. Broil King is a Canadian company that’s made a name for itself thanks to its high-performing grills made entirely in North America. Their grills match the quality of renowned brands such as Weber.To back up their high-quality claims, Broil King grills come with a lifetime warranty on the lid and cook box – which is unusual in the grill industry. However, before you invest in this grill, you’ll need to learn what it is that makes this grill stand out. So, in this review, we’ll go over the grill’s full specs and features, examine the quality of the build, and take a closer look at its performance. We’ll break down the grill piece by piece and help you determine whether the Broil King Monarch 320 is the right choice for you. Let’s get started.
OverviewBroil King’s Monarch line is a highly anticipated upgrade. The grills in this series are designed to suit any budget, and they all feature a modern, sleek appearance with black and silver details. The Broil King Monarch 320 is the most affordable option in the series, yet the quality remains unchanged.
What We Like
- Compact Size: It features the perfect size to fit most users. It’s just big enough to be effectively used at larger gatherings but small enough so that it doesn’t take up too much space in your backyard or balcony. It has convenient side shelves that can be folded down for maximum space efficiency.
- Linear Flow Valves: The most important aspect of any high-quality grill is the option to precisely control the cooking temperature. The Broil King Monarch 320 doesn’t disappoint here. It features the trademarked Linear Flow Valves that allow you to control the temperature to the exact degree that you need for a perfect meal. Whether you want to sear, roast, or slow cook your meal, you can rest assured that this grill will get you the desired results.
- Cooking System: This barbecue grill features the renowned Flav-R-Wave cooking system that ensures a true smoky barbecue taste. It’s designed to catch the juicy drippings from the food, vaporize them, and bring extra flavor back to your food. That’s not all that it does, however. The Flav-R-Wave cooking system also offers superior heat distribution. Few grills at this price point can boast even heating and perfect temperature control, making the Monarch 320 quite a treat.
- Strong Build: All Broil King’s grills are made from high-quality stainless steel sourced from domestic suppliers, and this one is no exception. It’s sturdy, reliable, and has to go through a lot to be dented or damaged. Considering the relatively low price point, it’s of surprisingly superior quality, even when compared to other brands that offer grills on the more expensive side.
What We Don’t Like
- Ignition System: While it features the trademarked Sure-Lite Ignition System, it leaves something to be desired. Lighting up the grill is relatively easy, but the ignition system doesn’t offer consistent results. When it works, it works flawlessly, lighting up the grill at a single push of the button. However, it tends to be glitchy and can test your patience.
- Complex Assembly: This grill comes with an assembly manual, and there’s even an instructional video on their website. However, the entire assembly process is more difficult than it appears, with complex diagrams and explanations, and will take quite some time, especially for the inexperienced users.
- Lack of Features: While you do get a superior quality product that’s bound to last for many years to come when you buy the Broil King Monarch 320, we’d expect to see more features at this price point. The Monarch 320 covers the basics, but you won’t get a chance to play around with some of the popular features that come with other Broil King products.
PerformanceConsidering the lack of additional features, the Broil King Monarch 320 offers exceptional performance, far exceeding its price point. Due to its Linear Flow Valves and perfected Flav-R-Wave cooking system, you have full control over your grilling experience. The die-cast aluminum lid provides excellent heat retention, while the three powerful dual-tube stainless steel burners ensure even heating. You shouldn’t have the cold spots which plague so many other grills.Each of the burners has 10,000 BTU-per-hour output, 30,000 BTU combined, and they even out the gas pressure from the front side of the grill towards the back, distributing the flame evenly throughout. Even though it’s small, it gets very hot – hotter than you will likely ever need. Your meat or veggies will get that perfect sear.You can create three separate heat zones and prepare several different meals at the same time, all without affecting the heat distribution or temperature control over any of the zones. One of the greatest benefits of this grill is that it has reversible cast iron cooking grids. On the one side, the grids are pointed, perfect for getting appealing grill marks on your meat or veggies. On the other, the cooking grids feature grooves that are designed to capture juices and help baste your food. Cleaning your Monarch 320 is a fairly easy task, all you’ll need is a gentle touch with a stainless steel brush, and you’ll be good to go.
|Broil King Monarch 320|
|Size Category||Small Grill|
|Number of burners||3|
|Dimensions (height, width, depth)||48″ x 22″ x 51.8″|
Although it has a lower price than the other models offered in the series, and is generally one of Broil King’s more affordable grills, its quality is consistent with what we’ve come to expect from this brand.
You can easily conclude this when picking up the box. For its compact size, it’s surprisingly heavy, standing at 113 pounds. While it’s not always the weight that determines the quality, it’s often a good indicator of the material used for the construction.
As mentioned, all Broil King’s grills are made using high-quality North American steel, including the Monarch 320. The cook box is made of die-cast aluminum, while the lid itself is strong stainless steel, so you shouldn’t expect to see any dents or damage any time soon.
The primary grilling area is of superior quality as well, made of heavy-duty cast iron cooking grids. The paint itself has proven to be quite durable, keeping a brand new look even after heavy usage.
Overall, you should expect nothing less than superior quality from Broil King, and the Broil King Monarch 320 is bound to leave you astonished by its strong build, resilience, and durability.
It does not come assembled, and you’ll either have to assemble it on your own or check with your retailer to see whether they can assemble the grill for you.
Be prepared to invest an hour or two of your time if you decide to assemble the grill on your own. Make sure to follow the instructions and watch the video tutorial on their website.
Although the grill is pretty hefty, it has reliable wheels that will make it easy to move around, so you don’t have to assemble it on the exact spot where you intend to keep it (although it is easier that way).
The Broil King Monarch 320 comes with a much better warranty than many of its competitors. You’ll receive a lifetime limited warranty on the cook box and lid components, a 10-year warranty on the dual-tube burners, and a 2-year warranty on other parts and paint.
The warranty will apply only if your grill is damaged under normal domestic use and with proper maintenance.
It’s in your best interest to save your receipts and proofs of purchase and to register your Broil King Monarch 320 as soon as you buy it to ensure that any potential warranty claim goes as smoothly as possible.
Broil King Monarch 320 is one of the better quality grills that we’ve reviewed, even though it lacks some of the more popular features that come with grills within this price range.
It’s reliable, provides a consistent cooking experience, is made of durable materials, and will provide you with all the necessary features that make grilling so fun and exciting. Overall, it will prove to be a worthy investment, and we highly recommend it.
Where can I find the assembly instruction manual?
You should receive the assembly instruction manual with your grill as soon as you purchase it. If your grill didn’t come with assembly instructions for some reason, you can find a PDF and a video manual on Broil King’s website.
Can I season the cooking grids?
Yes, you can easily season the cooking grids of Broil King Monarch 320 for better grill performance. If you’re doing it for the first time on your new grill, you’ll want to wash it with mild soap and some water before you start. Use cooking oil with a high smoke point, such as avocado oil, sunflower oil, or canola oil, and spread a thin layer over the grids.
Turn the grill on to medium heat, and let it run for about 30 minutes. The oil will bake on the grids and create a non-stick surface.
Is the grill big enough for a family of four?
Broil King Monarch 320 has a total cooking area of 500 in², 330 in² of primary cooking area, and 170 in² of warming rack area. This makes it big enough to prepare a meal for three to four people.
Check out some of our other grill reviews:
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.