Key Features and Specifications
- Dimensions: 30.2 x 19.2 x 16.1 inches
- Primary cooking area: 285 square inches
- Three burners: 20,000 BTU/hour
- Fuel: Liquid Propane canisters
- Electronic ignition system
- Cast iron, porcelain-coated cooking grates
- Sliding side tables
- Easily foldable with two wheels for transportation
- Water pan catches cooking grease and is removable for easy cleaning
Our Rating: 4.65/5
If you’re looking for a great cooking and easily portable grill for your trips and picnics, the Coleman Roadtrip 285 portable stand-up propane grill might just be right up your alley. There’s a good reason why this compact propane grill is a real crowd-pleaser – it’s perfect when you’re away from home and need to cook for a crowd.
Coleman is known for their high-quality camping products and they applied this expertise in designing this grill. It’s extremely portable, easy to use, quick to set up or disassemble, and includes quick-fold legs for when you don’t have a flat surface.
The Coleman Roadtrip 285 has three burners and a 285 square-inch grilling area, which is enough for about 14 burgers. It uses a 1-pound propane cylinder.
This is a reliable and versatile portable grill that’s an excellent choice if you want to cook somewhere other than home.
Table of Contents
- Easy setup
- Easily portable
- Push-button ignition for matchless lighting
- Large cooking surface for a portable grill with a range of grilling power
- Not as sturdy as full-sized grills
- Underpowered compared to full-sized grills
What We Cover in This Coleman Roadtrip 285 Review
We know that finding the perfect grill is quite a challenge, and our unbiased and thorough reviews are here to help you make this decision.
In our reviews, we reflect on key features, specifications, cooking performance, and practical information to provide you with valuable insights into the pros and cons of the grills you consider buying. When it comes to the Coleman Roadtrip 285, this is a fantastic grill that you can carry with you wherever you go.
Read on to find out more about its key features, specifications, performance, and more.
We will cover everything we like, and the few things we don’t about the Coleman Roadtrip 285. Stay with us to find out more about this grill.
What We Like:
- Easy transportation – The biggest perk of this propane grill is portability. Just like a carry-on suitcase, once folded up this grill can be rolled to wherever you want to go using the two large wheel and build-in handle. Bonus feature – it can be stored upright.
- Enhanced grilling control – The grill includes three adjustable burners, capable of delivering up to 20,000 BTUs. It has good temperature control for its size. The burners have enhanced temperature control allowing for more precise heating.
- Large grilling area – This grill has a very large cooking surface for a portable grill with three independently adjustable temperature zones.
- Interchangeable cooktops – For additional cooking and meal options, you can easily swap your cast iron grill grates with stove grates or griddles (each sold separately). This will additionally spice up your cookouts, adding more dishes to the plate.
What We Don’t Like
- Low Powered – Like all portable grills this one doesn’t get as hot as full-size models. However, it still ably cooks food and the ability to take it anywhere you want to go outweighs our performance concerns. You just might not want to use it as your daily grill if you cook a lot.
- Not quite sturdy – Because it uses telescoping legs, this grill is inherently more wobbly than the steel base of a full-size machine. Some users have reported issues with broken handles and side tables.
The Coleman Roadtrip 285 is, first and foremost, very easy to set up. More on that in the Assembly section.
The grill uses propane from a 1 pound cylinder as its primary power source to power up the three adjustable burners. Its maximum grilling power delivers up to 20,000 BTUs, while each of the three burners allows you to adjust the temperature according to your cooking needs. It has porcelain-coated cast iron cooking grates that retain heat well.
In terms of grilling and cooking, it provides a good amount of temperature control. The ignition is simple, just the push of a button. The grilling area has 285 square inches of cooking space, which is enough for about 14 burgers.
There is an integrated thermometer in the lid so you can keep track of the internal temperature. This lid also locks.
Our only real concern is that this grill doesn’t get extremely hot, which frankly we expect from a grill this size. We don’t worry about this sort of heating issue from a portable grill, but mention it if you’re thinking about using it every day at your home.
What’s also great about this grill is the interchangeable cooktops – a griddle or stove grate – that make the Coleman Roadtrip 285 a bit more than just a grill (separate purchase required).
Add two sliding side tables that are perfect for keeping sauces and other utensils handy to the mix, and you have yourself a nice, easily portable grill that travels with you.
Cleanup is simple. The grill comes with a removable water pan that catches the cooking grease. The grill body itself is small enough that it doesn’t take long to clean it out entirely.
Coleman Roadtrip 285
Small portable grill
Black or red
Liquid Propane (1 pound cylinder)
Number of burners
Main burners BTUs
Number of side burners
Interchangeable cooktops (for additional cost)
Cooking area side
285 sq. in.
Dimensions (H, W, D)
30.2 x 19.2 x 16.1 inches
Yes, 1 on each side
When it comes to the build quality of the grill, it’s decent for a grill that size. The grill body is made of steel and feels strong. It can get a little wobbly, but if you’re on a smooth surface it shouldn’t be a problem.
The only concerns we have are the side tables and handles are made from plastic and seem a bit flimsy.
Aside from its ultimate portability, setting up the Coleman Roadtrip 285 is literally child’s play. Just unfold the legs, open the lid, push the ignition button, and you’re ready to start grilling.
The manufacturer offers a 3-year limited warranty.
What we have here is an affordable, portable, small-sized grill that’s an excellent choice for any outdoor cooking occasion. Perfect for camping and traveling, the Coleman Roadtrip 285 offers enough grilling space to comfortably feed your entire family. It is reliable and performs well. Easily transportable, this grill would be a great addition for someone looking for mobility.
Is there any other way to clean out grease without removing the inner parts?
Unfortunately, no. The only way to clean out grease is by pulling out the inner parts. The grease pan is porcelain-coated, which should allow for easier maintenance and cleanup.
Are accessory hangers included?
No, the Coleman Roadtrip 285 portable grill doesn’t come with utensil hangers.
Can I use a full-sized propane tank?
Yes, if you purchase the high pressure propane hose add-on. It’s not that expensive and it’s easy to install.
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.