Key Features and Specifications
- Four stainless steel burners
- Liquid propane fuel
- 405 square inch cooking surface large enough for about 20 burgers
- Porcelain-coated steel grates
- Piezo ignition system
- Two side shelves
- Total weight without propane tank: about 50 pounds
Our Rating: 3.7/5
While some experts take the Char-Broil Classic 405 for an ugly duckling in the world of grills, we found it quite simple and refreshing to use. It’s definitely a no-frills grilling experience.
Matching its name, the Char-Broil Classic 405 is a medium-sized grill with 405 square inches of cooking space. It has four liquid propane fueled burners.
This grill is very affordable with the tradeoff being lower quality materials and lesser performance. It’s also lightweight.
Ultimately, the Char-Broil Classic 405 is a budget model that won’t break your piggy bank but is ultimately limited.
Table of Contents
- Sturdy construction given the price point
- Very affordable liquid propane gas grill
- Two side shelves
- 4 in-line burners
- Some parts are build from low-quality materials
- Uneven heat distribution
- No built-in thermometer, tool hooks, or storage
What we cover in this Char-Broil 405 Grill Review
Char-Broil is a longstanding barbeque brand. The Char-Broil Classic 405 model was released as their entry-model 4-burner grill for those who are not interested in fancy features and want to get their hands on a functional budget grill.
Even though it’s entry-level, this grill still comes with some useful extras. It has a 190 square inch warming rack made out of porcelain-coated cast-iron and two side metal shelves. It even comes with two wheels to help move it around.
Let’s take a closer look at the Char-Broil Classic 405 to discover what we like, what we don’t like, its features, build quality and assembly.
Not all entry-level grills are created equal. Below you will find our honest take on the Char-Broil Classic 405. Let’s see what are this grill’s strongest and weakest points so that you can make the right purchasing decision.
What we like
- Price: The Char-Broil Classic 405 comes at a price that fits almost everyone’s budget.
- 4 in-line burners: The cooking power of the grill lies in its burners. It has 4 in-line burners.
- Piezo-system: The Piezo-system is Char-Broil’s proprietary ignition system. Model 405 comes along with it, enabling easy and quick ignition. All you have to do is hook up a bottle of liquid propane gas, press a button, and cook your favorite meal.
- 405 square inches cooking surface: It may sound small, but this cooking surface will allow you to make nearly 20 burgers at a time. The surface is 29 inches wide and 14 inches long, and with a lid, you can cook an entire meal.
- Maneuverability: It’s about as lightweight as a 4-burner grill gets. With two wheels, it’s easy to move this grill from place to place at your residence. This is very helpful if your storage location and grill spot are a good distance apart.
- 190 square inch warming rack: For a grill this economic, we were surprised to see a 190 square inch warming rack. It’s made out of porcelain-coated cast-iron and will definitely last you for several years.
What we don’t like
- Firebox and lid are made of questionable steel: we are unsure about what steel was used in the construction, and it appears to be thinner than usual. As a precaution, we advise you to always store the grill safely to protect it from the elements.
- Uneven cooking: The Char-Broil 405 comes with porcelain-coated grates and control for each of the four burners. We found out that it doesn’t distribute the heat equally through the grates. The food at the center of the grill cooks evenly while the food on the outskirts doesn’t. Users also report that the grill runs cool and doesn’t reach high temperatures. Get ready to use some grill play if you want to cook all the burgers evenly.
- Assembly is not straightforward: For a simple grill such as this one, you’d think that assembly is simple as well. It is quite the opposite. There are quite many parts that won’t fit together perfectly.
The grill has decent cooking capabilities. With four in-line burners and an output of over 30,000 BTUs per hour, this budget grill can cook everything from the ribs to whole chickens.
The Char-Broil Classic 405 includes porcelain-coated steel grates, which are good performers, retain heat well, and are easy to clean up.
The problems we experienced were related to heating. The center of the grill delivers even heating, but the sides tend to be significantly hotter. The problem is that the grill tends to run cool and the food takes longer to cook.
It comes with the patented Piezo ignition system. Turning it on is peace easy and can be done with only one button.
What took us by surprise were the burners that are made from stainless steel. This is a high quality material and lasts longer than other metals.
Char-Broil Classic 405
Number of burners
Main burners BTUs
Number of side burners
Dimensions (H, W, D)
24.1” x 54.3” x 43.5”
Yes, 190 square inches
Extra storage space
If you are familiar with the phrase “you get what you pay for”, then you won’t be surprised when you unpack, assemble, and start using the Char-Broil Classic 405. It has a firebox and lid made from steel. Both have porcelain-coated heat shields, which can help direct the heat where it needs to go.
There are no details or specifications regarding the steel, but it seems a little thin. It would be unwise to leave the grill out in the open, and using a cover would be a good idea.
The side shelves are made from steel and feature porcelain coating too. Pay attention to them as some users have reported rusting issues. All-in-all, this grill likely has a shorter lifespan than many others.
It doesn’t come assembled, but comes with a detailed manual. Unfortunately, this grill is not easy to assemble. Users have reported some parts are very hard to fit in and you will have to use a hammer to put them in the right position.
The Char-Broil manufacturer offers a limited warranty with this product. It covers the following types of failure:
- Material defects
The warranty applies to:
- Stainless burners – 5 years from the date of purchase
- Firebox and lid – 5 years from the date of purchase
- All other parts – 1 year from the date of purchase
Make sure to keep the dated sales receipt when you purchase the grills as it is required for warranty service.
While the Char-Broil Classic 405 is an affordable entry-level grill it packs quite a few surprises. Its performance and build quality definitely reflect the price range. However, the size of the cooking surface, stainless steel burners, two side shelves, and swing-away warming rack are the features you don’t expect to see in grills at this price point.
Is it right for you? If you don’t want to invest in a more expensive gas grill and don’t mind dealing with the lower performance issues, this grill should serve you well.
- Does the Char-Broil Classic 405 come with a gas line?
The spot for the liquid propane gas tank is on the left side of the grill. This is where you will find the gas line. There are also sturdy brackets at this side that allow the tank to sit in one position safely. Connect the gas line to the tank, and you are ready to grill.
- Can it use natural gas?
No, this grill uses only propane. A natural gas conversion kit is available from the manufacturer for an additional cost. It takes about a half-hour to install.
- Does this grill have a fuel gauge?
This model, in particular, doesn’t come with a fuel gauge. If you prefer knowing how much liquid propane gas you have left, there are many solutions available for separate purchase.
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.