Key Features and Specifications
- Dimensions: 16 x 16.5 x 31.5 inches
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Primary cooking area: 160 square inches
- One burner: 5,500 BTUs
- Grill Type: Freestanding and tabletop
- Porcelain-enameled cooking grates
- Stainless steel burner
- Fuel: Propane
- Electronic ignition system
- Carrying handle
- Easy setup and breakdown
Our Rating: 4.4/5
If you’re on the go, like to travel, and need to be able to grill wherever life may take you, then the Cuisinart CGG-180 portable gas grill may be just right for you.
It’s an excellent and cute little portable grill, which is just perfect for grilling on the go. Whether it’s in your backyard, at the beach, at the tailgate, or while you’re camping, this grill has you covered. It uses 16 oz propane cylinders, which can be readily obtained from your local big-box or hardware store.
Small in size and light in weight, you can take the Cuisinart CGG-180 with you wherever you go. Easy to transport and set up, the grill has a burner rated at 5,500 BTUs and a grilling surface large enough for about 8 burgers – all while weighing just 15 pounds.
It travels like a briefcase and sets up in less than a minute. A last-minute barbecue party is no longer a problem, as it’s compact enough to accompany you on your cookout sessions.
Table of Contents
- Easy setup
- Easily portable with briefcase-style carrying ability
- Easy cleanup
- Low heat output
- Instability when using the telescoping legs
What We Cover in This Cuisinart CGG-180 Review
Buying a portable grill that suits both your grilling and transportation needs can be quite the task. There are multiple portable grills on the market, and knowing which one is perfect for you requires some time, knowledge, and effort.
We will help you by providing our detailed and honest review of the Cuisinart CGG-180 so you can make an informed purchasing decision. No matter if you are a novice or avid grilling professional, our reviews offer helpful and unbiased information. We cover both the good and the bad.
This grilll has many optional features.The specific model we reviewed includes the Versastand which are telescoping legs. We feel as though this is the most helpful addon and only costs a few dollars more.
Read on to find out more about the Cuisinart CGG-180 portable gas grill’s key features, specifications, and performance.
The Cuisinart CGG-180 looks great at first sight, so we’ll dig deeper to cover all aspects of this grill. Stay with us to find out everything about it.
What We Like
- Stylish and easily portable – We can’t help but mention how stylish this small-sized grill is. Even though it’s not bigger than your average briefcase, it’s surprisingly spacious when you lift the lid. This is an ideal grill for tailgating, camping, the beach, balconies, or other small spaces. The simple and quick setup and breakdown make it even more attractive.
- Small but versatile – Although it may seem that this little fella is too small, don’t let that fool you. What it lacks in size, it makes up for in other great features. It includes electric ignition, a precision temperature gauge, two different standing modes, easy and secure transport, maintenance, and grease clean up. On top of all this, it comes in three different colors.
- Burner provides even heat distribution – Even though this grill only has one burner, it provides good heat distribution. Let’s face it – heat distribution is one of the most important features in a grill since so much depends on it. The Cuisinart CGG-180 portable gas grill will put you in charge of your grilling and culinary escapades.
- Portable design – Another great thing we really like about this Cuisinart grill is that you can use it as a tabletop or freestanding grill, whatever your grilling needs demand. The telescopic stand includes two easily foldable legs that you can position in a way that suits your current cooking needs.
What We Don’t Like
- Instability – Due to being lightweight, this isn’t a very stable grill. You’ll find it difficult to use it outdoors unless you stand on even ground or have a large flat surface.
- Low Heat – Because of its small burner, this grill struggles to reach high temperatures. You unquestionably can cook on it, but it will likely take longer than a full-size grill.
- Lower Build Quality – As with many portable grills, you trade off portability and affordability for cheaper construction.
The Cuisinart CGG-180 performs well for a compact and portable grill. Its telescoping base ensures optimal cooking height while the porcelain-enameled cast iron grates provide enough grilling space for about 8 burgers. For its overall size, this is a reasonable amount of cooking room.
Overall, the it heats up quickly but struggles to maintain a high temperature. Heat is well distributed across the grill. You’re able to cook any kind of food that fits the space, but it can take longer to cook than normal and it won’t have well-defined grill marks.
It has porcelain-enameled cooking grates that are very easy to clean and are dishwasher safe.
Due to its small size and compact design, you can easily keep the grill in smaller spaces. Two advantages the Cuisinart CGG-180 has over larger grills is that it’s much more energy-efficient and it’s removable cooking grate fits in the dishwasher.
Small Portable Grill
Black, silver, and red
Number of burners
Main burners BTUs
Number of side burners
Yes, telescopic, two-fold legs
160 sq. in.
Dimensions (H, W, D)
16 x 16.5 x 31.5 inches
Integrated temperature gauge
Yes, 3-year limited
In terms of quality, the Cuisinart CGG-180 is middle of the road. It uses lesser components that seem somewhat flimsy and have us questing the long-term durability. As bad as this seems, this isn’t necessarily troublesome as most portable grills in this price range suffer from the same issues.
Affordable portable grills aren’t made to be long-term daily cooking machines, so they aren’t going as sturdy as home grills (but also don’t weigh 100+ pounds and cost much less). That aside, the grill is spacious considering its size and it performs well.
No assembly required here.
There is a 3-year limited warranty included.
The Cuisinart CGG-180 portable gas grill is a grill that’s definitely worth your time, effort, and money. Aside from a few issues, this grill excels at what it’s made for – an easily transportable small grill that you can take with you when you travel. It’s easy to use, energy efficient, and simple to clean.
You can set up and break down the Cuisinart CGG-180 in less than a minute, while porcelain-enameled cooking grates are extremely easy to clean in any dishwasher. If you are planning a tailgate or a camping trip, this grill would be a fine addition.
Also check out: Coleman RoadTrip 285 Review
Does a purchase include a gas tank?
No, the grill doesn’t come with a gas tank. You’ll have to buy it separately. They are readily available at hardware and big-box stores.
Is it recommended that the lid be down while cooking?
It depends on your personal preferences and what food you’re cooking. Nothing prohibits you from cooking your food with the lid down.
What is the proper gas tank size for this grill?
The Cuisinart CGG-180 Portable Gas Grill uses 16oz propane cylinders. If you want to use a full-size propane tank, then you will need to purchase a conversion kit.
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.