Key Features and Specifications
- Primary cooking area: 330 in²; room for 16 burgers
- Warming rack area: 170 in²
- Three stainless steel Dual-Tube burners
- Main burner: 30,000 BTU-per-hour
- Side burner: 10,000 BTU-per-hour
- Included stainless steel rear rotisserie burner and premium rotisserie kit
- Heavy-duty cast iron cooking grids
- Therma-Cast Cookbox – a full die-cast aluminum cook box which helps prevent rust and damage
- Stainless steel Flav-R-Wave cooking system
- Fold-down steel side shelves
- Integrated thermometer
- Made in North America
Our Rating: 4.6/5
The Monarch 390 gas grill by Broil King is a real head-turner. Monarch is Broil King’s entry-level grill line that brings exceptional quality. The Monarch series, and Broil King in general, is known for great design, durable materials, and ease of use. The rust-proof aluminum cookbox and stainless steel components are in the right places to ensure the long life span with no visual trade-offs. In fact, it is quite the contrary. The Broil King Monarch 390 will win your heart if you love high-performing streamline-styled grills.
If we look only at the 330 square inch primary cooking space, the grill belongs to the category of a small grill. However, we found that the Broil King Monarch 390’s high performance means this is more than enough space to cook a great meal for your family.
The grill comes in both liquid propane and natural gas versions. We find there to be little difference between the fuel types, it usually comes down to whether your residence has a natural gas hookup.
Considering the price, build quality, size of cooking space, and grill performance, this grill model has an edge over similar products from their competitors.
Table of Contents
- Excellent price to quality ratio giving you more bang for your buck
- Superb grilling performance
- Very easy to assemble and use
- Made in North America
- 330 square inch cooking area might be too small for some consumers
- The design is relatively simple compared to premium grill models
What we cover in this Monarch 390 Gas Grill Review
The Broil King Monarch 390 is a great grill for people who want a well-built machine that will deliver high performance year after year. It is a simple yet sturdy grill. It comes with the Flav-R-Wave cooking system, which provides excellent heat distribution, extends the life-span of burners, and vaporizes drippings for an ultimate BBQ experience.
Below, you will find everything you need to know to decide whether to invest in this grill or not, ranging from key features and specifications to build quality and ease of use.
You know that our primary goal is to deliver honest grill reviews. In our effort to do so, here is what we like and don’t like about the grill.
What we like
- Exceptional quality – The Broil King Monarch 390 is not an ordinary budget-friendly grill. It comes with a rust-proof cast aluminum cook box, durable Dual-Tube burners, and stainless steel components.
- Broil King’s Flav-R-Wave cooking system – Broil King’s trademarked system comes with linear-flow valves ensuring even heating of the grates, thus enabling you to cook your food with ease. At the same time, it vaporizes the drippings, helping at the smoky flavor and protecting the burner from excess grease and moisture.
- Included stainless steel rear rotisserie burner and premium rotisserie kit – It has everything you need to make delicious rotisserie roasts.
- Drop-down shelves – The Monarch 390 comes with extra storage space, which is very convenient for outdoor cooking. If you have problems with storage, sliding the shelves into a down position can help you store this grill in confined spaces.
- Integrated tool hooks – integrated tool hooks are a must-have feature in a grill. We loved that it comes with integrated tool hooks to help you manage your tools before, during, and after cooking.
Read more: Grill Buying Guide
What we don’t like
- Assembly requires effort – While the assembly is straightforward, it still requires some effort. We are aware that some consumers prefer to avoid building things. You will need to assemble this beauty on your own.
- The primary cooking area is small – Bear in mind that the primary cooking area is 330 square inches. If you regularly cook for a bigger company, you may need to grill in shifts.
The Broil King Monarch 390 comes with three burners, a rear rotisserie burner with premium rotisserie kit, and a side burner. With a 30,000 BTU output and the Flav-R-Wave cooking system, this grill packs a powerful punch. The system ensures even heating, so you don’t have to worry about cold sports.
The startup system is also easy to use. The ignition is sure-lite electronic-based. Thanks to this, the grill starts easily and quickly. The therma-cast aluminum cook box is also of excellent quality, and it provides excellent heat retention.
The heat is entirely under your control. You have access to linear-flow valve control knobs. Use them to set up a perfect temperature for your BBQ plans and let the grill maintain the heat. Whether you want to roast, sear, or cook, you will be able to do it with ease.
We like that this grill comes with a premium rotisserie kit included so that you can best use the rotisseries burner. This direct flame rotisserie burner is equipped with graduated ports to ensure the same flame height. This electric system automatically and continuously rotates your meat to ensure a perfect roast. The side burner allows you to create mouth-watering side dishes, sauces, or soups; you name it.
|Broil King Monarch 390|
|Size Category||Small Grill|
|Color finish||Combination of Stainless Steel and Black|
|Number of burners||3|
|Main burners BTUs||30,000 BTU/hour|
|Number of side burners||1|
|Side burner BTUs||10,000 BTU/hour|
|Number of rotisserie burner||1|
|Rotisserie burner BTUs||12,000 BTU/hour|
|Dimensions (H, W, L)||48” x 22” x 51.8”|
|Tool hooks||Yes, installed on both side shelves|
|Extra storage space||Enclosed cabinet base|
The Broil King Monarch 390 is definitely built to last. The cook box is made out of therma-cast aluminum and features stainless steel lid inserts. Aluminum is rust proof ensuring a long cook box life. There are two side shelves, both of which are made of black painted steel, while the control panel is also made of stainless steel. The handle on the lid is built from thermo-nylon, so it is temperature resistant.
The entire grill comes with a high-quality epoxy paint finish. The rest of the components are built from rust-resistant zinc-coated steel.
The grill doesn’t come assembled. While it comes with the assembly manual, the Broil King Monarch 390 is a bit more complicated than other grills. That being said, even a notice can build this grill in an afternoon.
It comes with a limited lifetime warranty for a cook box. There is a 10-year warranty on the burner and a 2-year warranty on parts and paint. Broil King offers a product registration service on the official website.
It is a good idea to register the product because you will get additional 6 month of coverage, important notifications about your grill, and you will be able to receive custom-tailored assistance from the support team should you ever need it.
So, should you buy the Broil King Monarch 390? Considering the build quality, heat distribution, and ease of use, it’s hard to find a better-performing small grill. Broil King’s remarkable Flav-R-Wave system will enable you to up your grilling game. The Broil King Monarch 390 comes with two additional burners, allowing for even more cooking options. The extra storage space, two side shelves, and tool hooks make it even more attractive. If something breaks it’s backed by one of the better warranties in the industry.
Does Monarch 390 come with a fuel gauge feature?
It doesn’t have a fuel gauge feature. But if you have access to natural gas in your home, you won’t need the gauge.
Is the cooking area big enough to cook for family reunions?
The 330 square inch cooking area is enough to cook food for a medium-sized family at once. Since family reunions are social events, get ready to crack a beer (or other beverage of your choice) and spend some quality time behind the grill with your loved ones. Before you know it, your BBQ will be ready to serve.
Does the it include a premium rotisserie kit?
Monarch 390 is an excellent option if you want to cook chicken. The manufacturer includes a premium rotisserie kit in the original package. It comes ready for use, so you don’t have to worry about shopping and paying for one that fits perfectly into this grill model.
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.