Key Features and Specifications
- Primary cooking area: 438 in² (about 21 burgers)
- Warming rack area: 192 in²
- Liquid propane grill
- Three stainless steel burners
- Main burners: 40,800-BTU-per-hour
- Side burner: 12,000-BTU-per-hour
- Porcelain-coated cast-iron cooking grates
- Built-in lid thermometer
Our Rating: 4.4/5
The medium-sized Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro Gas Grill is an entry-level non-frills propane grill that excels at one thing – cooking food. It’s sturdy build and superior performance far surpass other entry-level competition.
This grill has three powerful burners, durable cast iron cooking grates, and boasts a spacious primary grilling area of 438 in². It’s ideal for large families and big gatherings, allowing you to impress all your guests at your next BBQ party.
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro is a budget-friendly grill. For it’s price, we’ve yet to find a better performing gas grill, so we highly recommend it to price-conscious consumers.
Table of Contents
- Spacious grilling area
- Powerful burners and great performance
- Harder to maintain lower cooking temperatures
- Durability concerns
- Lack of storage space
What We Cover in This Char-Griller E3001 Review
The Char-Griller manufacturer has been in the business for almost three decades, producing well-regarded grills and smokers known for their good price to performance ratio.. Its E3001 Grillin’ Pro has been a favorite among users, delivering consistent cooking results and improving the overall grilling experience.
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro has all the features you’d expect from a high-performing grill, easy ignition, good heat distribution, quality cooking grates, but what makes it unique is its low price point and appealing design.
This grill looks almost like a traditional charcoal grill, even though it uses liquid propane. Boasting a large, black dome lid, two smokestacks, and a thermal-painted steel body, the Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro looks striking and will be the central feature in any backyard or patio.
But let’s dive deeper intothe details to see what it has to offer. We’ll cover its performance, build quality, and look into its features and specifications to help you determine whether this is the right grill for you and your family.
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro is packed with many useful features that we truly enjoyed, but it also has a few things we disliked. Let’s take a closer look.
What We Like
- Grilling area: It boasts an medium-size grilling area with its 438 in² primary cooking space and 192 in² warming rack. You can comfortably grill 21 burgers simultaneously while toasting the buns and keeping the grilled veggies warm. It’s an impressively sized grill for its affordable price, making it perfect for big get-togethers.
- Powerful burners: The barbecue grill features three stainless steel burners giving out 40,800-BTU, and it also has an additional side burner with 12,000-BTU. Each burner has its own ignitor control, and they will bring the grill to temperature in no time. The heat is evenly distributed, so you won’t have to waste time figuring out the best place to put your steak.
- Large, high-quality lid: A good quality lid is crucial for proper heat retention which keeps your meat or veggies cooking at the desired temperature. The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro’s thermal-painted steel lid will keep all the juices in, and the built-in thermometer will give you an accurate reading of the temperature.
- Strong build: Considering the low price, the grill is made of surprisingly strong materials. The entire body is made of durable, heavy-duty steel, keeping the grill sturdy and stable.
What We Don’t Like
- Prone to rust: Without proper and frequent maintenance, this barbecue grill has been known to be prone to rusting. Many users have reported cookbox rust occurring within a year of purchase. In order to keep the Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro in good shape, you need to provide regular TLC.
- Trouble maintaining lower temperatures: Its burners are so powerful that the grill has trouble maintaining lower temperatures.
- Low-quality wheels: The wheels on it are made of low-quality plastic and don’t inspire much confidence. We aren’t sure how much movement it can take before a wheel gives out.
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro delivers great performance compared to other entry-level grills. Starting the grill is easy with Char-Griller’s electronic ignition, and you should be able to fire it up on the first try without problem. The three stainless steel burners, with a combined 40,800 BTU, are quick to reach the desired temperature, and the heat is evenly distributed across the entirety of the grill. There are no issues with the grill not getting hot enough, which is a problem that plagues other entry-level offerings. Interestingly, the only problem we have is the burners are so powerful that maintaining a lower temperature can be a challenge.
The grill features porcelain-coated cast-iron cooking grates, which help maintain the even heat distribution and retention. The porcelain coating also makes them very easy to clean and maintain.
The 12,000-BTU side burner is an excellent addition, ideal for roasting your veggies or preparing sauces.
Overall, The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro is bound to surprise you. Other than trouble maintaining lower temperatures, it delivers consistent performance and should last you a while.
Related: Grill Buying Guide
Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro
Number of burners
Main burners BTU
Number of side burners
Side burner BTU
Dimensions (height, width, depth)
48” x 48” x 28”
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro has a sturdy body made of heavy-duty steel and painted over with black thermal paint. It’s about as bare-bones a grill as you can get, but it gives it an awesome retro-industrial look. There’s no storage space or any useful room under the cart, but that’s not this grill’s purpose. Being constructed from steel gives it a sturdiness lacking in other entry-level grills.
The only problem we find is that it’s prone to rusting. This is one of the biggest consumer complaints, and you’ll need to keep a close eye on it. Make sure that you clean the grill thoroughly and regularly, and keep it covered when not in use.
Also not the grill has flimsy plastic wheels. They can break off easily, so be sure to check them thoroughly during the assembly.
Gas grill assembly is always more complicated than charcoal grill assembly, and it’s no different with this barbecue grill. You’ll need anywhere between one and two hours to complete the process. Thankfully, the instructions are clear, and you shouldn’t encounter any issues as long as you follow them.
Certain retailers do offer assembly, so you should consider buying from them if you’re inexperienced. Keep in mind that you likely will have to pay for this service.
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro grill body and stainless steel burners have an excellent 5-year warranty. All remaining parts have a 1-year warranty. Normal wear and tear that occur during regular grill use are not covered by the warranty.
It’s in your best interest to register the grill upon purchase and keep all the receipts. The process will go much smoother if you do so in case you need to file a warranty claim.
The Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro is an excellent no-frills entry-level grill that excels at one thing – grilling food. With its great performance, good heat retention and distribution, powerful burners, and strong build, you’ll be sure to use this grill for many years to come.
Overall, it’s a worthy investment especially considering it’s price point. If you’re looking for your next grill this could be it.
- How can I prevent flare-ups with the Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro?
Flare-ups have been reported as a problem with it, and the only way to prevent them is by playing around with the temperature controls until you’ve found the right heat level. In case the flare-ups are too great, close the lid and the two smokestacks to deprive the flame of oxygen.
- Can I use natural gas?
It only comes in a liquid propane gas version. You cannot use natural gas for this grill.
- Does it come pre-assembled?
No, the Char-Griller E3001 Grillin’ Pro doesn’t come pre-assembled. Some retailers do offer assembly (either free or paid) on the spot. If you don’t want to assemble this grill by yourself, look for a retailer that offers assembly service.
Our Rating Methodology
At Grill Cook Bake, we take pride in offering our readers unbiased and comprehensive reviews. Our team of expert researchers and staff spend hundreds of hours testing grills and digging into the details. All of this is to provide our readers with the information they need to select the right grill for them.
Our score for each grill is based on a weighted scoring system of seven factors:
Price to Quality Ratio
Full details on our methodology for expert grill reviews can be found here.